|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|SL Districts||Welcome to Bexley history|
Anerley & Penge
Elephant and Castle
Old Kent Road
Bexley probably meant Owood or grove of box trees¹.
c780 Reference to Bixle.
814 Reference to Byxlea. Was a manor of the Archbishop of Canterbury until
1086 Domesday Book listed three mills in Bexley.
C13 St Mary built.
c1537 Sir John Chapneys, former Lord Mayor (1534), acquired Hall Place estate and rebuilt it.
1649 Robert Austin extended Hall Place.
C18 Wrought-iron gates added to Hall Place.
1755 John Styleman of East India Company founded the Almshouses in High Street.
1756 Foots Cray Place mansion built by Isaac Ware (only stables and walled garden remain today).
c1760 Chapel House built to be viewed from Danson Park.
1761 Danson Park landscaped by Capability Brown.
1762 High Street House built. Antiquarian John Thorpe lived there.
1770 Danson Mansion built for John Boyd. It was designed by Sir Robert Taylor in 1762 and finished by Chambers.
1834 Bexley National Schools built on Bourne Road.
1859 Red House designed in Gothic style by Philip Webb for William Morris amongst what was then Kent orchards. Morris lived there for five years.
1877 Christ Church built by William Knight.
1882 St John built in French Gothic style by G. Low.
1883 St Mary restored.
1924 Danson Park (200 acres) bought by Bexley Council.
1965 Borough of Bexley incorporated into Greater London.
1982 Bexleyheath Shopping Centre built by Fitzroy Robinson & Partners.
|(c) South London Guide 2012|