Local family who developed the Minet Estate around Myatts’s Fields park.
Minet Estate’s borders are Akerman Road, Lothian Road, Camberwell New Road, the railway line, Paulet Road and Lilford Road
C17 1686 Isaac Minet (1660 -1745), a Huguenot, left France after Revocation of the Edict of Nantes to settle in London.
C18 1731Hughes Minet (1731-1813), grandson of Isaac Minet, born in Kent.
The Minet family acquired property in Hayes 1770 Hughes Minet bought over 100 acres in parish of Camberwell from Sir Edward Knatchbull. 1789 Plan of Minet property (now Camberwell Green/Camberwell New Road
C19 1807 James Lewis Minet (1807-1885) )born 1813 Hughes Minet died.
1818 Camberwell New Road built on the border of the Minet estate. 1860s James Lewis Minet sold land to the London Chatham and Dover railway.. 1862 Camberwell New Road station opened - this led to development of the area. 1870 James Minet founded Church of St James 1871 Minet Estate developed starting with Paulet Road and Knatchbull Road.
No shops or trades were allowed. 1885 James Minet died.
1885William Minet (1851-1932) inherited the estate 1890 William Minet founded Minet Free Library by George Hubbard 1890 William Minet founded Myatts Field Park, Designed by Follo….
Named after James Myatt who operated a market garden there until 1869, 1892 Burton House flats built on the estate 1892Some account of the Huguenot family of Minet by William Minet.
Published by Spottiswoode & Co c. 1895 Calais Gate flats built on the estate. Isaac Minet was from Calais 1897 Orchard House flats built on the estate 1899 Dover House flats built on the estate
(Isaac Minet had lived in Dover on his arrival in England)
C20 1900 William Minet bought Hadham Hall in Essex (sold in 1948) 1900 Hayes Court flats built on the estate (the Minet family held land in Hayes). 1909 Photo of Myatt’s Fields Park