|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|SL Districts||Welcome to Charlton history|
Anerley & Penge
Elephant and Castle
Old Kent Road
1077 Mention of Church in Charlton.
1086 Domesday reference to Cerletun.
1612 Charlton House built for Adam Newton, tutor to James 's son. Architect unknown but thought to be John Thorpe.
c1630 Summer House built for Charlton House possibly by Inigo Jones (now WC!).
1630 St Luke rebuilt with money from Adam Newton's estate.
1680 Charlton House acquired by Sir William Langhorne of the East India Company.
C17 Bugle Inn built.
1710 Almshouses rebuilt by Sir Richard Baynes.
1820 Charlton Horn Fair moved from village green to Fairfield.
1820s Village green incorporated into grounds of Charlton House.
1872 Charlton Horn Fair banned at Fairfield(was held on St Luke's day, 18 October).
C19 Charlton House acquired by Maryon Wilson family.
1878 Charlton House restored by Norman Shaw for Maryon Wilson family.
1925 Charlton House acquired by Greenwich Borough Council as community centre.
Charlton House - AR Martin (1929)
|(c) South London Guide 2012|