|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|Anerley & Penge Guide|
|SL Districts||Welcome to Anerley & Penge history|
Penge was originally in Kent. Penge may have originated from Celtic for 'head or chief wood or end of the wood' .
1067 Reference to Penceat.
1086 Domesday reference to Penge having a 'a wood for fifty hogs pannage' with woodland pasture 'seven miles, seven furlongs and seven feet in circumference'
1204 Reference to Pange.
1472 Reference to Pengewode.
1809 Croydon Canal opened through Penge Common.
Anerley means 'lonely place' after a house belonging to William Sanderson. Anerley is the Northern dialect for lonely. Sanderson offered land to the Southern Railway company.
1836 Penge Place mansion built by Blore.
1839 Railway built on old Croydon Canal. Penge and Anerley Stations opened. Anerley decorated in neo-Tudor style.
1840 King William Naval Asylum by Philip Hardwick opened in St John's Road in memory of William IV.
1841 Waterman¹s Almshouses by George Porter built in neo-Tudor style. They housed sixty Thames watermen or lightermen.
1841 Anerley Gardens opened west of Anerley Station.
1853 Penge Place mansion demolished. The Old Lodge (1-3 Lawrie Park Rd?) remains.
1854 Crystal Palace moved to Norwood.
1861 Parish of St Pauls formed.
1868 Anerley Gardens closed.
1877 Local murder led to decline in Penge's popularity.
1965 Anerley became part of London Borough of Bromley.
Retracing Canals To Croydon and Camberwell (1986 Living History Publications)
London and Croydon Railway - Adrian Procter (1989 London Reference Books)
|(c) South London Guide 2012|