|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|Abbey Wood Guide|
|SL Districts||Welcome to Abbey Wood history|
Anerley & Penge
Elephant and Castle
Old Kent Road
Abbey Wood is located on the river Abbey Wood. The centre was arond Abbey Road and it was originally in the county of Kent. The name refers to Lesnes Abbey and Lesnes Abbey wood.
Norman & Medieval Abbey Wood
1178 Lesnes Abbey founded by Richard de Lucy for the Augustine order.
C13 Lesnes & Plumstead marsh encloed by monks
1450 many inhabitants joined cade¹s Rebellion.
Tudor Abbey Wood
Georgian Abbey Wood
Marshes used by Woolwich Arsenal
Victorian Abbey Wood
C19 Abbey Wood Railway Station opened on the North Kent Line.
1862 Southern Outfall Sewer completed (15 miles long).
1865 Crossness Pumping Station by Joseph William Bazalgette.
1890s Bostall Heath and Woods acquired for public use.
Modern Abbey Wood
1900-1909 1500 houses were built on Bostall Estate by the Royal Co-operative Society.
1906 New Pumping House opened at Belvedere Road
1908 St Michaels Church built.
1910 Abbey Wood Tram depot built.
1913 Plumstead garage built by London General on Wickham Lane.
1952 Abbey Wood Tram depot converted to a bus garage.
1956 LCC began to develop the Abbey Wood Estate.
1964 New drainage works opened at Belvedere Road.
|(c) South London Guide 2012|