|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|SL Districts||Welcome to Brockley history|
1182 Reference to Brocele.
C12 Henry II gave land to Premonstratensian canons before they moved to
Bayham Abbey in Sussex.
1520s Cardinal Wolsey used estate to endow his abortive Cardinal college in Oxford.
Deptford end of Brockley went to Wickhams, Drakes and Tyrwhitt-Drakes of
Shaldoes, Bucks (see Brockley Property Guide).
1809 Croydon Canal built.
1836 Railway built on old Croydon Canal, which led to development of
Lay on borders of Deptford & Lewisham parishes.
1850s Lewisham Way (ex High Road) developed to south and west.
1858 Brockley Cemetery built for Lewisham & Deptford parishes.
1863 Castle (C18) renamed Brockley Jack
1866 St Saviour Church opened on Brockley Rise
1871 Brockley railway station opened
1872 Brockley Lane railway station opened
1892 Crofton Park railway station opened
1895 David Jones, artist, born in Arabin Road
1896 Hilly Fields open space saved from development.
1898 Brockley Jack rebuilt (named after local highwayman).
WW2 & Brockley
Post War Brockley
|(c) South London Guide 2012|