Forest Hill named from extensive woodland formerly
covering the area. Part of Lewisham parish, bordered Great North Wood
and Westwood Common (into Sydenham).
Tudor Forest Hill
1602 Queen Elizabeth I visited
Sir Richard Bulkeley at Sydmonscourt. Tradition has it that she lunched
under the shade of an oak on the hill known as One Tree Hill between Forest
Hill and Brockley.
Georgian Forest Hill
1790-1810 Georgian villas built
in Forest Hill: Hill House, White House and Ashberry Cottage.
1809 Croydon Canal built through Forest Hill.
1836 Railway built on old Croydon Canal, led to development
of Forest Hill.
Victorian Forest Hill
1839 View from Dartmouth Arms
1845-8 Railway used atmospheric
pressure traction with 4 steam pumping engines at Dartmouth Arms (Forest
1852-4 Christ Church built
1854 New railway station opened.
Mid Victorian Forest Hill
1878 Mayow Park opened as Sydenham & Forest Hill Public Recreation Ground
Late Victorian Forest Hill
1882 Forest Hill Swimming Pools (perhaps the oldest baths in UK)
1883 Forest Hill station rebuilt.
German Church opened on Dacres Road
1885 Spire added to Christ Church
1890 EC (Ted) Christmas set up business at 55 Dartmouth Road
1890 Frederick J. Horniman established a general collection at Surrey House from his travels.
1898 Surrey House demolished to make way for new Horniman
Edwardian Forest Hill
c1900 Colour-tinted postcard of Forest Hill
1900 St Augustine’s Church opened on One Tree Hill Honor Oak
1901 Horniman Museum (by C Harrison
Townsend in Art Nouveau style) opened.
Presented to London County Council along with 21 acres of park and gardens.
Forest Hill Library opened
1902 Fire Station built in Perry Vale.
Prewar Forest Hill
1929 Capitol Cinema (by John Stanley Beard) opened on London Road 11-15) in Neo-Classical style
1935 Taymount Grange modernist flats by George Bertram Carter built.
1936 Fox Croft modernist flats by Arnold Andre Higuer built
Forest Hill in WW2
1944 Forest Hill station damaged by flying bomb
Post war Forest Hill
1964 Rolling Stones played at Glenlea Hall, Perry Vale.
1968 Capitol Cinema renamed ABC
1972 New Forest Hill station built.
1973 ABC closed down.
1978 Cinema became a bingo hall
Only Ones group (leader based in Forest Hill)
1996 Bingo Hall closed
2001 Capitol re-opened asa Weatherspoon pub
Forest Hill and Sydenham - Adrian Prockter
(1987 London Reference Books)
Retracing Canals To Croydon and Camberwell (1986 Living History Publications)
London and Croydon Railway - Adrian Prockter (1989 London Reference Books)
Sydenham and Forest Hill - John Coulter (1999 Historical Publications)
Back to top
Advertise With Us
The Forest Hill Guide
The South London Guide