|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|SL Districts||Welcome to Southbank history|
Anerley & Penge
Elephant and Castle
Old Kent Road
Southbank or North Lambeth is located on the river Thames and was originally in the county of Surrey. The name Lambeth comes from OE and may have meant 'landing-place for lambs'.
1088 Reference to Lamhytha
1089 Reference to Lamhetha
1190 Archbishop Baldwin bought part of Manor of Lambeth from Convent of St Andrew in Rochester
1197 Archbishop Hubert Walter acquired the rest of the manor.
1200 Archbishop Hubert Walter built Lambeth House
1207 Reference to Lambethe
1228 Reference to Chapel at Lambeth House.
1300 Reference to Lambetheeth
1312 Reference to Lambehithe
1378 John Wycliffe examined at chapel for heresy.
1381 Palace sacked during Peasant's Revolt.
1432 Lollards' Tower built
1495 Gatehouse to Lambeth Palace built.
1513 Reference to Lambeth Horse Ferry.
1553 Thomas More examined in LP Guard Room
1610 Archbishop Bancroft donated his library to the Palace.
1630s Archbishop Laud restored Chapel
1640 Archbishop Laud attacked by London apprentices.
1650s Used as a prison until the Restoration.
1660s Great Hall rebuilt.
1750 Westminster Bridge opened.
1769 Coade Stone factory built (on site of RFH)
1780 Gordon Rioters surrounded the Palace.
1816 Old Vauxhall Bridge opened.
1817 Old Waterloo Bridge (John Rennie) opened.
1818 Old Vic opened as Royal Coburg Theatre
1831 Doulton pothouse bestablished in Lambeth.
1848 Waterloo Station built.
1861 Old Lambeth Bridge (PW Barlow) opened.
1867 First Lambeth conference
1869 Albert Embankment opened.
1871 New St Thomas Hospital opened on Lambeth Palace Road.
1889 Morley College built near Old Vic.
1898 Waterloo to Bank underground line opened.
1900 9 acres of Palace land given to public as Archbishops Park
1906 New Vauxhall Bridge (Binnie) opened
1912 Work begun on County Hall for the London County Council.
1922 New Waterloo Station (Jacomb-Hood) opened.
1924 Morley College moved to Lambeth North.
1932 New Lambeth Bridge (G Humphreys) opened.
1936 Old Waterloo Bridge demolished.
1942 New Waterloo Bridge (Giles Gilbert Scott)
1951 Festival of London held.
1952 Royal Festival Hall (Matthhew & Martin) opened.
1953 Tekinima opened (forerunner of NFT).
1956 Royal Doulton closed in Lambeth.
1957 National Film Theatre opened.
1963 Shell Centre opened (now White House - residential flats)
1967 Queen Elizabeth Hall & Purcell Room opened.
1968 Hayward Gallery opened
1976 National Theatre (Denys Lasdun) opened.
1977 Jubilee Gardens opened.
1999 Imax opened.
2000 Millennium Wheel (London Eye) opened.
Buildings of England London 2: South - Cherry & Pevsner (Penguin 1983)
Lambeth's Open Spaces - Marie PG Draper (1979 Lambeth Amenity Services)
Lambeth Palace - CR Dodwell (1958)
|(c) South London Guide 2012|