|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|Elephant and Castle|
|SL Districts||Welcome to Elephant and Castle Guide|
Anerley & Penge
Elephant and Castle
Old Kent Road
1641 John Flaxman, a blacksmith, set up a forge on an island where Elephant & Castle silver underground substation now is located.
1750 Old Westminster Bridge built. Led to new roads to Elephant.
1751 Turnpike Trust upgraded a local footpath into New Kent Road.
c1760 The smithy of 1641 became the Elephant & Castle Inn.
Used by stagecoaches.
c1800 PRINT of the Elephant & Castle pub after Rowlandson
1858 PRINT of Newington Causeway (showing E&C pub)
1861 Metropolitan Tabernacle built at Elephant & Castle.
1872 Theatre Royal opened (later ABC then Coronet).
1878 Theatre Royal burnt down replaced by Elephant & Castle Theatre.
1890 Undergound linked to the Elephant. City and South London Line.
Railway was first electric line. Later became Northern Line.
1898 Elephant & Castle pub rebuilt by John Warren
1906 Baker Street and Waterloo Railway (Bakerloo) reached the Elephant.
c1912 Tram terminus at Elephant & Castle.
1926 film of Elephant & Castle (from 0:36)
1931 Elephant & Castle Theatre became cinema - Theatre Royal
1930 Trocodero opened (3.500 seats).
1935 Trocodero became Gaumont.
1940-45 E&C badly damaged in WWII
1961 Electricity transformer enclosed in steel as Michael Farady monument.
1962 Redevelopment plan for Elephant & Castle.
London College of Printing built.
1963 Gaumont (old Trocodero) closed
Ministry of Health (by Erno Goldfinger) buildings rep;laced it.
1964-5 Odeon cinema by Erno Goldfinger (on site of larger Trocadero).
1961-5 E&C Shopping Centre built by Boissevain & Osmond
The Centre was the first covered shopping mall in the UK.
1967 Theatre Royal replaced by ABC Cinema (later became Canon & Coronet).
1988 Odeon Elephant & Castle closed down (now Metro Heights).
1999 Coronet closed down as a cinema.
1999 Regeneration of Elephant & Castle planned
2003 Coronet re-opened as music venue.
2006 South Central East completed.
2007 Castle House & part of Heygate Estate demolished.
2008 Strata House built on Castle House site.
(c) South London Guide 2016