|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London
A Timeline History of Walworth
|A timeline history of Walworth with prints, photographs and maps
• Click on images to enlarge
C1 Watling Street Roman road built (Old Kent Road is built on it)
C5 Saxons called the area Wealawyrd or Waleorde meaning 'farm of the Britons'
c1015 King Edmund Ironside granted Hitard, a court jester, land in Walworth.
1052 Hitard went on a pilgrimage to Rome. Made over his land to Church of Christ in Canterbury, Canterbury Cathedral.
1086 Walworth was described in Domesday Book. Mentioned land for ploughing and growing corn and eight acres of meadowland for cows. Walworth now a village in Surrey seperated from Camberwell by a stream
which ran by Boundary Lane on Walworth Common (where Aylesbury Estate is situated now).
C15? Pilgrims to shrine of Becket at Canterbury Cathedral
stopped to water horses at stream on Old Kent Road on Walworth Common. Place was known as St Thomas a Watering (now Thomas a Becket pub).
Manor House built?
1825 St Peters Church built for Church Commissioners as a result of Walworth’s expanding population. Architect: by Sir John Soane (1753-1837). More info
Early Victorian Walworth
1831 Surrey Zoological Gardens opened by Edward Cross (1774-1854) on Lorrimore common (old Walworth Manor)
1842 A Congregational chapel, the Sutherland Chapel, was built between St. Peter's Church and the Walworth Road. In 1904 the building was closed and was later taken over by the Electric Theatre Company.
1857 Surrey Gardens closed down.
1858 Surrey Music Hall opened in old Zoological Gardens.
Mid Victorian Walworth
1860 St John built in Larcom Street.
1863 Walworth Road Station opened on London, Chatham and Dover Railway Line.
1869–77 Edward Yates (1838–1907), a local builder, developed the Georgian residential streets on the western side of the Old Kent Road. Also built on the eastern side, laying out Marcia Road. Yates was leased and built on land owned by the Rolls estate and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in Walworth. Walworth moved from a Georgian suburb to Victorian inner city, with long rows of terraces built speculatively for rental, to house lower middle class and working class residents. By the time of his death, an estate of just over 2,500 houses, a church and school had been built, to match the rise in the population of Walworth.
1895 York Chapel renamed Browning Hall after Robert Browning who was baptised there in 1812.
Public space created for public from St Peters graveyard.
1900 Vestry became Southwark Town Hall
1901 Population 122,200
1902 Henry Coming (1817-1902) left funds in his will to create a public museum to house his family’s collection.
Browning Settlement moved to 62 Camberwell Road.
1903 Traders moved off Old Kent Road and Walworth Road by authorities to East Street due to new electric trams.
1904 Electric trams introduced in Walworth.
1905 22 acres of slums cleared around Merrow Street by Church Commissioners.
1906 The Cuming Museum first opened in galleries above the Newington Library on Walworth Road
WW1 & Walworth
1939 Reverend James Butterworth (1897-1977) advocated ‘a house for friendship for boys and girls outside any church’. He replaced the Walworth Methodist Chapel on Camberwell Road with a new chapel & Clubland. Designed by Sir Edward Maufe (1882-1974), the architect of Guildford Cathedral. Clubland featured a theatre, gymnasium, tennis court & various club rooms. Opened by Queen Mary on 18th May. Robert Kennedy (1925-1968) made his first public speech at Clubland at the age of 13, when his father was the US Ambassador.
WW2 & Walworth
Post War Walworth
1952 Trams discontinued.
1974 Heygate Estate completed.
2013 Cuming Museum and Library damaged by a fire (film).
2014 Heygate Estate demolished (info and photos).
2020 Work begun on demolition of Aylesbury estate.
2021 Southwark Heritage Centre and Walworth Library opened at 145 Walworth Road (near old Town Hall). It incorporates items from the Cuming Museum.
2023 Una Marson library opened on Thurlow Street. Named after the writer Una Marson (1905-1965) described by her biographer as the first "Black British feminist to speak out against racism and sexism in Britain"
|(c) South London Guide 2023