|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|West Norwood Guide|
|SL Districts||Welcome to West Norwood history|
Anerley & Penge
Elephant and Castle
Old Kent Road
The name Norwood is derived from the (Great) North Wood which once covered North Surrey and stretched from Croydon to Camberwell.
Upper Norwood passed to Whitehorse family in reign of Edward III.
In Tudor times timber for Golden Hinde, being built in Deptford, came from Norwood.
1652 The diarist, John Evelyn, was robbed in Norwoood.
1662 John Aubrey described Norwood as 'a great wood... belonging to the See of Canterbury'.
1665 Became a refuge from the Plague.
1747 Rocque's map showed Great North Wood being reduced by commons.
1797 Beginning of enclosure of Norwood area.
1806 Lambeth Enclosures Act
c1810 Norwood High Street laid out
1820s Large houses built on Crown Lane.
1825 St Luke's (F Bedford), West Norwood opened.
1831 Beulah Spa opened.
Early Victorian Norwood
1837 South Metropolitan Cemetery was consecrated.
(later West Norwood Cemetery)
1854 Crystal Palace moved from Hyde Park to Sydenham Hill.
1854 Crystal Palace and West End Railway line opened. Much house building.
Late Victorian Norwood
1861 Jews' Hospital and Orphan Asylum opened on Wellington Road . Buildings included a hospital, an orphanage, a small synagogue and a school (closed 1961).
1863 St Saviour's Almhouses opened in Hamilton Road.
1870 View of West Norwood pre-development
Mid Victorian Norwood
1881 West Norwood Fire station opened
Photo of St Lukes
1888 Lower Norwood became known as West Norwood
Edwardian West Norwood
Pre-War West Norwood
Norwood in WW2
Post War West Norwood
The Phoenix Suburb - *
|(c) South London Guide 2012|