|southlondonguide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|Herne Hill Guide|
|SL Districts||Welcome to Herne Hill history|
Anerley & Penge
Elephant and Castle
Old Kent Road
Origin of name
Herne Hill may have meant "hill by nook of land" or may have been named after the Herne family, residents in the area from the 17th Century.
Medieval Herne Hill
Herne Hill was part of the ancient manor of Milkwell.
Georgian Herne Hill
1823 John Ruskin moved with his family to 28 Herne Hill. It was demolished in the 1920s. There is a plaque in what is now No 26 Herne Hill.
Victorian Herne Hill
Old St Pauls Church burnt down.
Edwardian Herne Hill
Carnegie Public Library (by H. Wakeford) opened.
Pre-War Herne Hill
WW2 & Herne Hill
Post War Herne Hill
1948 Herne Hill Velodrome hosted London Olympic track events.
1953 Grand became Pullman Cinema (222 Railton Road)
1959 Pullman Cinema closed.
1974 First Lambeth Country Show at Brockwell Park.
1978 24 Sept: Sham 69 headed ANL Rally in Brockwell Park.
2007 Brockwell Lido restored. Out Of the Blue by Peter Bradley published.
First Urban Green Fair held at Brockwell Park.
New in Herne Hill
|(c) South London Guide 2012|