southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London

Victorian Camberwell Property Guide

Info
Baldwin Crescent
Brunswick Square

Calais Street

Victorian Camberwell expanded after the addition of the Grand Surrey Canal (pictured) and the arrival of the railway in 1866. This led to the development of the de Crespigny estate on Champion Hill,  the Minit estate around Myatts Fields (Myatts being their gardener). This 1862 Map show the proposed railway route.

 

 

 

Named after Charles Baldwin, a judge, who lived at Grove Hill in the 19th Century.

Brunswick Square was developed in the 1850s and known as Brunswick Park (it has its own garden). It was renamed Brunswick Square in 1937.

Named after town where Minet family once lived.

       
Champio Grove De Crespigny Park Denmark Road Flodden Road

map
Named after Champion....
Fine Georgian properties plus later C20 houses on the border with Dulwich.

 

map
Named after Champion de Crespigny family

Situated by Myatt’s Field. Can be busy with traffic. Probably named after Prince George of Denmark who was Queen Anne’s Consort until his death in 1708
Conservation area: 98-112.
Camberwell was originally in Surrey. The Earl of Surrey led the English to victory at the battle of Flodden (1513). The First Surrey Rifles HQ was established in 1865, Known as Brunswick Road in 1862?
   

 

Grove Hill Road Grove Park Havil Street Knatchbull Road
map
Predominantly Victorian housing with good views of London. Named in 189* after Grove Hill, the house built for Dr Lettsom in 1779.  Grove Hill Road was built on its grounds  after the house was demolished. Part of the grounds remains as Lettsom’s Gardens (allotments).
Key Properties

map
Quiet tree-lined road that turns back n itself. Various period styles from Georgian onwards. Originally part of Dr Lettsom’s Grove Hill estate, which was built in 1779 on Walnut Tree Walk (now Camberwell Grove). Part of the grounds of Grove Hill remain as Lettsom Gardens

Key Properties

Havil House once stood where Southwark Town Hall now stands. The road was originally known as Workhouse Lane after the Camberwell Workhouse situated on it.

map
Knatchbull Road was developed from c 1820. Part of the Minet estate acquired from Knatchbull family in 1770..Conservation area:  4-28, 1-49. Longfield Hall (1889 bow-fronted with corner entrances)
       
Love Walk Wells Way Wilson Road More SE5 Guides
map
Peaceful and secluded road than links Denmark Hill with Grove Lane. A mixture of fine Victorian and Postwar houses.Old walls remain of the southe ned of the  De Crespigny estate which ran up to Champion Hill and the border with Dulwich.

Key Properties
Through road that cuts across Burgess Park. Heavily developed but has a good C19 terrace. Named after James Wells who built St George’s Church on Wells Way in 1824.(now flats).He lived in Camberwell from 1803 to 1853. Key Properties: Nos 97-111

Quiet road off Camberwell Church street  Named after the Rev Edward Wilson, vicar of St Giles, who founded the Wilson Grammar School in 1615 (demolished in 1845). A second school was opened in 1883 until the school moved to Croydon in 1975. Cooper & Kendall built several house in Wilson Road in 1878-1879.

New in Camberwell
Camberwell Bars
Camberwell Cafes
Camberwell Food Shops
Camberwell Indian Restaurants
Camberwell Restaurants 
Camberwell Shops
Camberwell Information
Camberwell History
Camberwell Property
Camberwell Guide (home)
South London Guide Home

Advertise with us

Camberwell Period Property Guides

The Camberwell Guide 

 
(c) South London Guide 2019