|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|Eltham History Guide|
|SL Districts||Welcome to Eltham history|
Anerley & Penge
Elephant and Castle
Old Kent Road
The village was originally in the county of Kent. The name comes from OE and may have meant Elta's Village.
Watling Street passed along what is now Shooters Hill.
Norman & Medieval Eltham
1086 Elteham listed in Domesday Book as a manor belonging to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux
1295 Eltham manor house rebuilt by Anthony Bek, Bishop of Durham.
1305 Eltham manor & house presented to Edward (II). Eltham Palace extended for Edward II's queen.
1356 Edward III met ransomed King John II of France at Eltham Palace.
1479 The Great Hall contructed with large hammer beam roof (3rd largest in England).
C15 Bridge built across Eltham Palace moat.
1525 Well Hall barn built, part of manor house of William Roper Palace used as a hunting lodge.
1659 John Evelyn visited Eltham Palace and found it in disrepair.
1663 Manor was leased to Sir John Shaw. He left the Palace as a ruin.
1664 Eltham Lodge built for Sir John Shaw by Hugh May in the Great Park.
1694 Philipot Almshouses founded on Eltham High Street.
1720 Greyhound Inn rebuilt.
1733 Well Hall demolished.
1784 Severndroog Castle by Shooters Hill built by R Jupp for Lady James
1875 SWt John¹s Church opened.
1889 Eltham Lodge became Eltham Golf Club.
1890 Avery Hill mansion built by TW Cutler.
1895 Eltham Park Station opened.
1899 Edith Nisbet lived in Eltham at Well Hall until 1922.
Eltham Palace - DE Strong (DoE guide 1958)
The Story of Eltham Palace - R Brook (1960)
|(c) South London Guide 2016|