southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London

Dulwich Village roads

SLG Home
Home History Information Property Advertise
SL Districts Welcome to Dulwich Village roads  

Anerley & Penge
Beckenham
Bermondsey
Bexley
Blackheath
Borough
Brixton
Brockley
Bromley
Camberwell
Catford
Charlton
Croydon
Crystal Palace
Deptford
Dulwich Village
East Dulwich
Elephant and Castle
Eltham
Forest Hill
Greenwich
Herne Hill
Kennington
Lee
Lewisham
New Cross
Old Kent Road
Peckham
Rotherhithe
Southbank
Sydenham
Walworth
West Norwood
Woolwich

Info

Aysgarth Road

Boxall Road

Burbage Road

 

Dulwich Village,SE21, is bordered by the following roads Dulwich Common, Court Lane, Village Way and Croxted Road. It is part of the Dulwich estate which was established in the 17th Century by Edward Alleyn.
Bus: 3, 37, P4
Rail: North Dulwich
Park: Dulwich Park
Shops: Dulwich Village
Map

map
Off main Dulwich Village Road.Late Victorian terraces. Named in 1896 after a country estate of Edward Alleyn.

map
Named after Robert Boxall, who ran The Greyhound Inn which was demolished c1900 to make way for. Boxall Road and others.The Greyhound  amalgamated then with the The Crown across the road


map
Generally quiet with some rush hour traffic. Part of the road backs on to Sports grounds. Named in 1883 after Richard Burbage (1568-1619) the Elizabethan actor. He built the Globe Theatre where Edward Alleyn appeared. Key Properties: Nos 134-174
       

Calton Avenue 

College Road

Dulwich Common

Dulwich Village

map
Large late Victorian houses overlooking Alleyn's playing fields. Originally named Calton Road in 1884 and named after the Calton Family. Thomas Calton bought Dulwich Manor from the Crown in 1544. His grandson Sir Francis Calton sold it to Edward Alleyn in 1606. Key Properties: Nos 1a-59 & 2-36
map
Busy road linking Dulwich and Upper Norwood. Many houses back onto Dulwich Park or green spaces. A working tollgate remains in use. Mixed period styles. Named after Dulwich College, the Old & New Colleges are sited on the road. Key Properties: Nos 11-15 (C18)
No 23  Bell Cottage (C18 weather boarded with Doric staircase),Bell House (1767 with alterations by Lutyens) No 41 (1721 altered) Nos 51-53

map
Many Georgian houses plus some C20 houses which back onto Dulwich Park. The road was originally called Dulwich Road and later as the High Street and from 1914 Dulwich Village Key Properties: Nos 19-49 plus Nos 40-118 including: No 57 (c. 1820 villa),No 59 (c.1740), No 97 (1796 five windows wide),No 101 (1760 with canted bay windows), No 103 (c. 1760)

map
Named in 1877 after Lord Lyndhurst, a lawyer. Busy road linking Peckham with Camberwell. Local amenities: Camberwell Church Street shops and bars

       

Pickwick Road

Roseway

Turney Road

Woodyard Lane

 
Map
Road built in 1906 on the site of the Greyhound which closed in 1900 when it amalgamated with the Crown across the road in the Village. Named after Charles Dickens’ famous character Mr Pickwick who in the Pickwick Papers (1837) retired to Dulwich.
Map
Quiet and attractive road of cottages off Turney Road. Built afterWorld War I by the Estates Governors' Cottage Building Scheme  on a field used by an Athletic Club.

Map
Edwardian houses many of which back on to Sports Fields. Named in 1905 after George L. Turney of Camberwell Vestry. Key Properties: Nos 224-268 

Map
Modern (C21) development which borders onto Dulwich Park.

 






 


MH Associates
(Est 1978)
Chartered Surveyors
for London & SE England

 

Dulwich Design
(c) South London Guide 2012