southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London

Dulwich Woods roads

 
SLG Home
Home History Information Property Advertise
SL Districts Welcome to Dulwich Woods roads  

Anerley & Penge
Beckenham
Bermondsey
Bexley
Blackheath
Borough
Brixton
Brockley
Bromley
Camberwell
Catford
Charlton
Croydon
Crystal Palace
Deptford
Dulwich Village
East Dulwich
Elephant and Castle
Eltham
Forest Hill
Greenwich
Herne Hill
Kennington
Lee
Lewisham
New Cross
Old Kent Road
Peckham
Rotherhithe
Southbank
Sydenham
Walworth
West Norwood
Woolwich

Info

College Road (south)

Dulwich Common

Dulwich Oaks

Dulwich Woods (South Dulwich) is bordered by the following roads Alleyn Park, Dulwich Common, College Road and Kingswood Drive. It is part of the Dulwich Estate and includes Dulwich College established in 1870.
Open space: Dulwich Woods. 
Bus: P4, P13
Railway station: Sydenham Hill.
Map

map
Named College Road in 1876 after opening of the new Dulwich College Road. Originally the road was called Penge Road and was built by John Morgan, who leased fields at the foot of Grange Lane in the late 1780s, to connect Dulwich with Penge.  He was permitted to build, and take tolls from, the Toll gate, to pay for the upkeep of what remains a private road. 

map
Good Edwardian houses on the South Circular Road backing onto allotments and Sports grounds near the Grove Tavern. Named after the Common which in 1606 compromised 300 acres. In 1805 the common was enclosed  by the College.


map
Modern development in College Road, by Sydenham Hill Station 
       

Ferrings Walk

Great Brownings

Hambledon Place

Pond Cottages

map
A development near the Toll Gate named in 1967.  Feringes Coppice was mentioned in 1575 and in 1621 in Edward Alleyn's Diary).  It took its name from a member of the Feringe family,mentioned as Dulwich tenants from 1561 to 1658.
map
Named in 1967 after a medieval close off Court Lane in the Village. Quiet modern development off College Road leading to Low Cross Wood Lane footpath leading to the Dulwich Woodhouse.

map
1985 housing development on the south side of Dulwich Common, on the site of Hambledon House after Lord Hambledon.  From c.1950 to c.1970 it was used as a hostel for nurses at King's. 

map
Opposite to Dulwich College and named in 1890.First mentioned as 'Millpond Cottages' in 1791.  Compact.Georgian..houses in an attractive setting.

       

Stone Hills Court

Toll Gate Drive

Woodhall Avenue

Woodhall Drive

Map
Modern development off College Road
Map
1966 development. The Toll Gate in College Road is the only toll gate still in use in the London area (see College Road)

Map
Cul-de-sac off Woodhall Drive

Map
Situated in Dulwich Woods just off College Road. Named in 1958 after the mansion Wood Hall at 101 College Road, which in the 1870s had replaced another mansion called Woodhouse, built by Thomas Lett c.1810. 

 






 


MH Associates
(Est 1978)
Chartered Surveyors
for London & SE England

 

Dulwich Design
(c) South London Guide 2010