|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|SL Districts||Welcome to Lee history|
Anerley & Penge
Elephant and Castle
Old Kent Road
1086 Described in Domesday Book 'The village of Lee is assessed at a half-saling with arable land for 14 ploughs and 2 teams for the demesne and ii villeins with 2 cottas or bordars who have 2 ploughs. There are 2 slave (serf) families, 5 acres of meadow and woodland for 10 hogs'.
1206 Reference to Lega.
1682 Boone¹s Almhouses built (demolished in 1875 only the old Chapel remains).
1685 Pentland Place built (many later additions).
1730s Tiger Head pub built by Lee Green..
1742 Edmund Halley buried in St Margaret's churchyard.
c1771 Manor House built.
1798 Manor House occupied by Barings who became lords of manor of Lee.
1801 Population of Lee was 900.
1810 Lee Green enclosed.
1825 Lee Place demolished and Lee High Road straightened.
1826 Merchant Taylor's Almhouses.
1830s Many large houses built in Lee.
1841 New St Margaret church built on Lee Terrace.
1864 Population of Lee was 8000.
1896 Present Old Tigers Head built.
1899 Lee incorporated into borough of Lewisham.
1900 Dacre House ..
1901 Manor House sold to Lewisham Council by Barings. It was converted into a library and park as it is today.
1904 Police station, 418 Lee High Road.
1910 Lee Picture Palace opened at 306 Lee High Road. Closed in 1930s.
1913 Imperial Picture Palace, 404-408 Lee High Rd (later Savoy and Pullman).
1920s Burnt Ash Farm closed down.
History of Lee and Its Neighbourhood - FH Hart (1882 reprinted 1971)
Story of Lee - RRC Gregory & FW Nunn (1923)
Manor House, Lee - E&J Birchenough (Lewisham Borough Council)
|(c) South London Guide 2012|