|southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London|
|New Cross Guide|
|SL Districts||Welcome to New Cross history|
Anerley & Penge
Elephant and Castle
Old Kent Road
New Cross was previously known as Hatcham and it
was originally in the county of Kent. The name Hatcham comes from Old
English and may have meant 'Haecci's estate'.
Roman New Cross
The Roman Dover road passed through Hatcham.
Medieval New Cross
1086 Hatcham, as New Cross was known then, is listed in the Domesday Book
as Hacheham. It is described as a manor containing land for
three ploughs, nine villagers and two smallholders, six acres of
meadowland and woodland for 3 pigs.
1319 Refence to Hachham
Stuart New Cross
1614 Haberdashers Company (founded in 1371 as a City Livery Company
purchased Hatcham Manor for £7,180.
1619 Map produced of Hatcham.
1630 Hatcham leased to Randolph Crew.
1651 Manor described as including a manor house, orchard, dove house,
stables, brick barn, winter pasture and other lands.
1660 Hatcham leased to Thomas Pepys, brother of Samuel.
1675 Samuel Pepys referred to New Cross Inn (previously Gold Cross Inn)
Georgian New Cross
1718 New Cross tollgate established on Clifton Rise by New Cross
(became known as New Cross Gate, New Cross after an inn and Gate after
1775 Hatcham House rebuilt (on site of old manor house).
1778 Joseph Hardcastle leased Hatcham Park House until 1819. He was a
famous abolitionist. House was situated between Monson Road and
Hatcham Park Road.
1795 The Telegraph Hill semaphore station
1801 Hatcham had a population of 734.
1809 Croydon Canal built through New Cross
Early Victorian New Cross
1839 New Cross station opened (named New Cross Gate in 1923) on London &
1840s Robert Browning lived near New Cross Road at Telegraph Cottage.
1843 Royal Naval School opened by Prince Albert (on site of present day
1849 Second New Cross railway station opened off Amersham Way. It called New Cross as well.
1854 St James Church built.
1859 Haberdasher Aske's surveyor William Snooke wrote a report
recommending the laying out of wide tree-lined roads for the
construction of 'dwelling houses of a high standard.'
Mid Victorian New Cross
1865 Hatcham had a population of 17,168.
1865 Toll gate removed.
1869 Hatcham Park House demolished. Egmont & Casella Roads built. 1870s Haberdashers' Company laid out Hatcham Manor Estate (including
Erlanger, Jerningham, Pepys and Waller Rds).
1875 Haberdashers Askes School for Boys & Girls opened on Pepys Road.
Late Victorian New Cross
1889 Royal Naval School moved to Chislehurst.
1891 Goldsmiths' Company's Technical & Recreative Institute opened.
Haberdasher Askes School for Girls opened on Jerningham Road.
1893 Church of St Catherine opened on Pepys Road.
1894 New Cross Fire Station built.
1895 Telegraph Hill Park opened.
Goldsmith's Tavern built on site of New Cross House pub (gave name to
1897 Broadway Theatre opened by Sprague at 506 New Cross Road (later Broadway Cinema)
1899 New Cross Empire by (Frank Matcham) opened at 483-489 New Cross Road
Edwardian New Cross
1900 Hatcham Manor Estate development finished. It covered over 200 acres
around Telegraph Hill supplying large houses for the middle
1903 Statue of Robert Aske (died 1689) moved to grounds of Haberdasher
1905 Goldsmiths' College became part of London University.
1909 Electric Cinema opened at 182 New Cross Road (closed in 1917)
Pre-War New Cross
1925 New Cross Super Kinema opened on New Cross Road and corner of
Clifton Rise. Later named Gaumont.
WW2 & New Cross
1944-5 New Cross suffered heavy casualties from Flying Bomb attacks.
On 25th November 168 people were killed when Woolworths. 277-281 (?) New Cross Road was hit by a V2.
Post-War New Cross
Hatcham & Telegraph Hill- An Historical Sketch - Raymond Thatcher (Lewisham
Historical Society 1982)
Goldsmith's College, A centenary Account - AE Firth (1991)
History of the Haberdashers Company - Ian W Archer (Phillimore 1991)
Discover Deptford & Lewisham - Daniel Spurgeon (1997)
|Dulwich Design 1|
|(c) South London Guide 2013|