southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London
Brixton Property Guide:
Stockwell border Roads
 
SLG Home
Home History Information Property Advertise
SL Districts    

Abbey Wood

Anerley & Penge
Beckenham
Bermondsey
Bexley
Blackheath
Borough
Brixton
Brockley
Bromley
Camberwell
Catford
Charlton
Croydon
Crystal Palace
Deptford
Dulwich Village
East Dulwich
Elephant and Castle
Eltham
Forest Hill
Greenwich
Herne Hill
Kennington
Lee
Lewisham
New Cross
Old Kent Road
Peckham
Rotherhithe
Southbank
Sydenham
Walworth
West Norwood
Woolwich
Local info

Brixton Road

Clapham Road

Borders are approximately Clapham Road, Ferndale Road, Brixton Road and Camberwell New Road. The area was developed from the old Stockwell Manor estate in the early Nineteenth Century.           

1862 Map

map
C18 terrace near Groveway on the west side. Nos 91 - 137 are 1820s. Originally the River Effra flowed along here. Now covered over. The entertainer Max Wall was born at 37 Glenshaw Mansions.
map
Originally a Roman Road to the South Coast. It is now the A3 and busy with traffic. It has many fine Georgian and Victorian houses.
map
Oval Quarter development of 357 brand new apartments
Nos 11-27 is a small terrace of 1824.
       

Durand Gardens

Foxley Road

Groveway

Hackford Road

map
Durand Gardens’ town houses of were built from 1840 to the 1890s and include terraces, semi-detached and detached houses. Originally called The Grove, it was renamed Durand Gardens in 1893 after Sir Mortimer Durand who established the dividing line between India and Afghanistan that year.

map
C19 terraces originally part of Holland Town development (named after local landowner Lord Holland.) 

map

Perhaps Stockwell’s premier road with a mixture of early Victorian villas and later terraces.

map
Originally known as St Ann’s Road, it is a mixture of housing styles, 1840′s villas, 1870′s terraces and C20 housing
Vincent Van Gogh lived at No 87 in 1873.
       

St John's Crescent

Stockwell Park Crescent 

Stockwell Park Road
Vassall Road
map
C19 villas opposite Max Roach Park. Part of the Angell Town Estate. Benedict
Angell gave the land for St John’s to be built in 1853.

map
Part of the Stockwell Park development.
Residents Association website

map
Regency & later. Nos 11-27 is a small terrace of 1824. Crosses the site of Stockwell Park which
belonged to the manor of Stockwell. Manor house was at Stockwell Green. Residents Association
website

map
C19 terraces originally part of Holland Town development on Lambeth Wick manor. The lessee of the manor, Baron  Holland adopted his wife’s family name of Vassall in 1800. Located between Brixton Road and Camberwell New Road
Brixton Property

 

Dulwich Design

(c) South London Guide 2013