southlondon guide.co.uk the definitive guide to South East & South West London
East Dulwich Property Guide: Lower East Dulwich  
SLG Home
Home History Information Property Advertise
SL Districts Welcome to East Dulwich Property Guide  

Abbey Wood

Anerley & Penge
Beckenham
Bermondsey
Bexley
Blackheath
Borough
Brixton
Brockley
Bromley
Camberwell
Catford
Charlton
Croydon
Crystal Palace
Deptford
Dulwich Village
East Dulwich
Elephant and Castle
Eltham
Forest Hill
Greenwich
Herne Hill
Kennington
Lee
Lewisham
New Cross
Old Kent Road
Peckham
Rotherhithe
Southbank
Sydenham
Walworth
West Norwood
Woolwich
Local info
Archdale Road
Crawthew Road
Crystal Palace Road

Lower East Dulwich is the central area of SE22 between Lordship Lane, East Dulwich Road, Peckham Rye and Barry Road,  It was part of Friern Manor which was developed in the latter half of the Nineteenth Century. Previously it had been green fields with cattle grazing. Within two decades  it had become a thriving suburb, Click here for an 1862 map of Friern Manor

map
Quiet road off North Cross Road, built in 1871. Named after a road in Ulster. Medium sized mid-Victorian terraces.
Key property: Old St John’s & St Clement’s school built in 1872 and closed in 1994 then converted to residential units.
Local recommendation: Thai Corner restaurant
map
Tree-lined road off Lordship Lane. Mixture of Mid-Victorian terraces & semi-detached built in 1874. Previously known as Holly Road and Agnes Terrace.
Local recommendation: Green & Blue wine bar
map
The road runs from East Dulwich Road up to Lordship Lane.  At the East Dulwich Road  end mostly fine large Victorian semi-detached houses built in 1867. The Crystal Palace at Sydenham was in view until it was destroyed in 1936. Now a busy road with traffic calming. 
Local recommendation: Crystal Palace Tavern
       
East Dulwich Road
Frogley Road
The Gardens
Hindmans Road
map
The road links East Dulwich to Nunhead and runs along along Goose Green open space. Mostly large  prosperous Victorian houses built in 1881. Most now converted to flats. Heavy traffic to Dulwich side and on the 37 and 484 bus routes. Quiet on the Peckham side. Local recommendation: Mirash Indian restaurant
map
Quiet road leading off Lordship Lane. It consists of smallish Mid-Victorian terraced houses built in 1864 - ie a very early East Dulwich Victorian development on what was green fields. Local recommendation: Green & Blue wine bar
map
Attractive square with private garden off Peckham Rye built in 1875. Previously market gardens. Very large Victorian houses. Most now converted into flats. Use of square for many householders. Little traffic. Local recommendation: The Gardens Cafe & Deli
map
Quiet road with Victorian terraced houses leading off North Cross Road. Named in 1868. The Frienr Manor Diary Farm operated on this site from the Middle ages until 1873.Local recommendation: North Cross Road Shops, Bars etc
       
Landells Road
Lordship Lane
Nutfield Road
Worlingham Road

map
Built on hillside with views across London. Named in 1868 after the founder of Punch. Generally small Victorian terraced houses. Local recommendation: Crystal Palace Tavern

map
The old boundary of Dulwich and Friern Manor, it extends from Goose Green to Sydenham Hill.
Mostly late Victorian from 1880s with many good shops etc. Enid Blyton was born at No 354 Lordship Lane. Busy with heavy traffic and buses. Local recommendation: Lordship Lane Shops, Bars etc

map
Quiet road with Victorian terraced houses leading off North Cross Road, Named in 1864 after after a road in Ulster.. Another example of early Victorian development in East Dulwich on what was previously green fields. Local recommendation: North Cross Road Shops, Bars etc

map
Peaceful road off East Dulwich Road with fine copper beeches. Named in 1866 and built 1881-87 on gardens of Norland House. Mostly late Victorian terraces Local recommendation: Mirash Indian restaurant
East Dulwich Property

 

Dulwich Design
(c) South London Guide 2016